Practices Changed from Basic to Advanced
- Acres are grid sampled and nutrients are applied using variable rate for potassium, phosphorus, and micronutrients.
- Tissue testing is done on every field every year for secondary and micronutrient needs
- Fertigation of nitrogen applications on more acres
- Multiple splits of nitrogen applications in-season – up to six times per season
- Addition of crops like rye and alfalfa to the rotation for building soil organic matter
Between 2017 and 2018 injection of the UAN28 percent into the irrigation lines was the main practice change. The cost of installing the irrigation and fertilizer injection system was lower than the cost of using equipment to apply in-season UAN28