Practices Changed from Intermediate to Advanced
- Focus on fertilizer blends to incorporate micro and secondary nutrients.
- Adoption of advanced strip-till.
- Fields grid-sampled on 2.5-acre plots every two to three years.
- Fertilizer is variable rate applied based on soil samples and crop removal.
- In-season evaluation of plant stands and yield potential using 360 SOILSCAN. Plant-available nitrate can be measured to know mid-season N needs.
- Tiled fields help control runoff and promote healthy microbial life, strong rooting environment, proper organic levels and neutral soil pH.
- Nutrients are placed closer to excel plant uptake to help minimize loss to the environment and maximize input efficiency.
- Works with Iowa Soybean Association ON FARM NETWORK to conduct in-depth N trials. Using 360 COMMANDER software, this compares standard N applications vs. matching variable plant population and variable rate N prescriptions.